>

Monday, April 21, 2008

Really, I just want to register

So everything got resolved last Friday and I was able to register for all of my classes. And for the most part, people were intelligent and helpful. The folks at MCC were pretty inefficient, but such is life.

And then I discovered my well-laid plans for my fall classes were not so well-laid. I had planned on taking fewer hours this fall because I will be working part-time (because Noah will be going to Pre-K...*sigh*). For the past two semesters I have been taking eight hours (two four-hour classes) and I thought that I would back off a bit since working outside the home, even part-time, will afford me less time to do school work. So I registered for one four-hour class and one one-hour class. Five hours--perfect, right? Not so much. See, when I got my financial aid packet last Friday (yes, that same Friday) I realized that I have to take at least six hours to get financial aid. I have realized this every semester up till now, and that's even why I registered for two classes at UIS for the summer, so I could get financial aid. WHY my brain didn't transfer that knowledge to the upcoming fall semester, I'm not quite sure. It's one of the mysteries of my life, my brain.

So I had to un-register for my one-hour class and find another class to replace it, one with two hours or more. I settled on a three-hour Undergrad Prior Learning Portfolio Development class. Basically I will develop a written portfolio for why the university should give me college credit for things like my continuing education copyediting class, and NaNoWriMo, and my brief stint as a volunteer copyeditor. I had to fill out an informational form and I'm waiting on permission to register for the class, so it's not finalized yet. I miss the days of just picking a class and signing up for it.

On a happier note, I only have two-and-a-half weeks of school left in this semester. The light is beckoning. My research paper stands in the way, but even it can't get me down for too long. Besides, it's not due for another two weeks and that gives me plenty of time to procrastinate. And blog.

No comments: