>

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Not a pity party

There's something about saying, "I struggle with depression." It implies that I'm not just sitting here taking it. I'm fighting it. I'm a fighter.

The problem with fighting, with struggling, is that, well, it's a struggle. It means hard work. How would you struggle with an attacker? By punching, kicking, biting, clawing, screaming. There's an element of desperation. That's struggle.

Struggle means exertion, and exertion, at least in this case, leads to exhaustion. And when you're exhausted, you can't struggle anymore. And so today, today I'm not struggling with depression. Today I just have depression.

4 comments:

hoesayfina said...

thanks for sharing. i'll be praying for you. love you! -m

Angela said...

Sometimes writing it out is therapy that doesn't cost you more than you can pay. I know all about that.

Brooke said...

Yeah.

Depression sucks.

I'm so sorry.

Love you.

*hug*

Jennie Quillen said...

I know first hand the darkness depression can bring over you.

I'm so sorry.

Sending you my love and sending up prayers!